Have you ever fantasized about owning a Destin beachfront vacation rental home or a condo? Second home ownership is a great investment and also a place to make memories for future generations.
By putting your Destin beach house/condo on a rental program, you will be able to supplement your income while still having your own paradise piece to spend time with your family and friends while at the beach.
You can always find a few estate agents in Destin Florida who are experts at assisting clients in finding the ideal property according to their lifestyle and budget.
Furthermore, such a property management team was managing Destin vacation rentals and South Walton for over 30 years, and most realtors value their advice offered by them on ownership of vacation rental and also conservative projections that will allow clients to make informed decisions.
If you are a busy person who works and raises a family, you should consider carefully what kind of real estate investor that you would like to be.
Active vs passive
Most doctors and high-income professionals often skip this step when they first start out to make money from a vacation rental or any other investment.
Most people do not want to spend time developing goals in advance, but this is what will help and guide you down about real estate and also about the path to success.
Your first step will be to decide how much time and money that you intend to devote to your rental investment. Actually, this will help you decide whether to be an active (landlord) or passive (tenant) investor.
Most passive investors circle members join because they lack the time and resources to find and manage rental properties.
For us, the best approach was to become passive investors in syndication deals. You may give up some of the overall control and try to pool your money with a certain group of any real estate investors in these types of investments.
Read also: See Exactly what the Travel Agents See!
Syndications allow you to be relieved of the usual responsibilities and time commitments that come with being a landlord.
What are different vacation rental properties?
Typically all vacation properties are privately owned and rented out to travelers as an alternative to hotels. Accommodations can be ranging from a certain spare bedroom to a high-end luxury property complete with a butler and chef.
Here are some examples:
- Beach house
- Cabins made of wood
- Tiny homes
At present, there are plenty of condos for sale in Destin that are available and you can make an inquiry from any local estate dealers to know further details.
Vacation rental business
If you already owned any vacation home in Destin then you would have been quite hard-pressed to get it rented by using any of the following:
- Newspaper ads
- Travel agents
- For-rent signage
However, today we are living in the internet age and hence now you can freely advertise about your vacation rental on the internet and there are plenty of websites and forums available for that.
How to look for any opportunities for passive vacation rentals for investment
The key with any kind of syndication whether it is in the multifamily or not, is to find operators with a long and successful record of accomplishment. We have said it before and will say it again the most important thing about passive investing is not focusing on certain deals with your highest returns, but on the operators whom you can trust.
Now the basic question is how you can accomplish this.
- To start with, see if they have any positive reviews and speak with previous and past investors.
- The most important aspect of vacation rentals is having a very good location. Inquire about their current vacation homes and potential future locations.
- Popular vacation spots, such as a beach or ski resort, have a higher occupancy rate and also increase rental cash flow.
The following are a few pros and cons of owning any vacation rental passively. Consider all of the pros and cons before making any major investment decisions.
Passively owning a vacation rental property has several advantages:
- Like with any other type of passive investment, cash flow is generated through only passive income that will come from rental income.
- You have your own private vacation home to share with friends and family
- Tax advantages, e.g. depreciation, can always be used to reduce your tax burden.
- If the rental was bought in the right location in Destin, then it can increase significantly in their value over time.
Investing in vacation rentals, like any other type of investment, has some drawbacks too. However, the good part of the news is that most of these are related to being the sole property owner. Cleaning, preparing for future guests, marketing, and management are all examples of tasks.
If you invest passively with a certain group, then they will have a team that will handle everything for you.
The following are a few things you must consider while deciding to invest in a vacation rental to make money.
- Do not let your emotion overrule your logic while deciding whether your vacation property will be able to pay for itself
- Management fees can impact the ability of vacation property to pay for itself
- Seasonal demand and also its influence on the ability of vacation property to pay for itself
- Will it still feel like a vacation when you will be doing property maintenance?
- Will you like to have others in your home?
There will be more to owning any vacation home than whether it will really pay for itself as a rental income. Owning a vacation home may be just a ticket to true freedom and relaxation if you have a frequently visited vacation destination and want your own place for staying each time.
If you are primarily looking for business investment, then deciding whether a vacation home property can really pay for itself as a rental income will come down to just numbers.